:Type:Area takes numerical values and units for denoting surface areas.
To allow users to enter values in different units of measurement, this page specifies several custom unit for this datatype:
- [[corresponds to::1 m², m2, sqm, square meter, square meters, square metre, square metres]]
- [[corresponds to::0.000001 km², km2, sq.km, sqkm, square kilometer, square kilometers, square kilometre, square kilometres]]
- corresponds to::0.0001 ha, hectare, hectares
- [[corresponds to::3.86102158542e-7 miles², sqml, sqmi, sq mi, ml², mi², mi2, square miles]]
- corresponds to::1.96051e-15 earths (used for astronomical objects in Property:Surface area)
The main unit is m², i.e. values without a unit are interpreted in this way.
Editors can add more units and alternative representations. To allow users to enter units in several forms, you add alternate representations separated by commas; for example this datatype supports "squared" using <sup>2</sup> or a Unicode character.
The main unit is the first unit with 1:1 correspondence; for this datatype it is m². In the factbox and inline queries, values display converted into this unit first (unless a property specifies different display units).